Equity in Teacher Experience

10:05 pm

Average teacher experience (in years) in Portland Public Schools: 14.2
Number of schools with average teacher experience of 12 years or fewer: 17
Number of these schools in the Jefferson, Madison Marshall and Roosevelt clusters: 15
Number of these schools in the Cleveland, Grant, Lincoln and Wilson clusters: 0
Number of schools with average teacher experience of 16 years or more: 21
Number of these schools in the Jefferson, Madison, Marshall and Roosevelt clusters: 5
Number of these schools in the Cleveland, Grant, Lincoln and Wilson clusters: 15

Source: PPS

Share or print:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • email
  • Print

Steve Rawley published PPS Equity from 2008 to 2010, when he moved his family out of the district.

filed under: Data Crunch, Equity

follow responses with RSS

4 Responses

1. Comment from Steve Buel:

This chart does a great job of illustrating the results of the teacher transfer policies. Teachers have a tendancy to move from the lower economic to the upper economic schools. This is why the proposal put forth by Stand for Children needs to have a component which increases the quality of teachers hired in the lower economic schools. Yet, they refuse to consider this. I have offered to sit down and talk to them about including this type of component in their proposal, but they refuse to talk about it.

2. Comment from Oregonian37:

Steve,
    Do instructors get to choose where they go, or do they have to be in the classroom for a certain amount of time before being afforded that opportunity?

3. Comment from Whitebuffalo:

I’ve heard stories that if teachers “do their time long enough” they get to “graduate” to a Lincoln, Grant, Cleveland, Wilson cluster school. I have seen it to be true but I’ve also noticed that these teachers tend to “mail it in” for the last few years since the work is “easier”. Teachers that make this move are not ones you really want anyway.

4. Comment from Zarwen:

Teachers have to be with the district a minimum of three years before they can apply for first-round transfers. Those are not always the most desirable jobs, but most of the time, they are.